1/05/2006

Washington Goes To War by David Brinkley


Sometimes with books, even more with movies, I run across something that is so good, I wonder how I missed out on it before. David Brinkley's "Washington Goes To War" is one of these. Actually published in the late 80's, it covers the effects of pre-war, war and post-war as it affected what was essentially a sleepy little town prior to the events of WWII.

Brinkley covers the society, including how many of Washington's elite reacted to the New Deal workers invading their patrician circles. He also covers the political scene, much of which parralells to today's pro- and anti-war factions battling it out in Congress and on the street.

Some of the best parts are how the southern city in a segregated south, deals with the influx of blacks during the height of the depression. You may be appalled by what the living conditions were as described by the author, but this is definitely one of the areas where his writing shines.

I doubt that the city is even remotely the same as described here, since 65 years have insured that it at least move somewhat into the modern world, but as a cultural piece detailing a bygone era, Brinkley does it with great expertise.

I give this one 7½ stars. My next reading assignment is two books, so it may be a while before the next review. For the religious side I am going to read "Why Men Hate Going to Church" by David Murrow. And for the secular side I plan to read "Slam-Dunks and No-Brainers" by Leslie Savan.

Winthrop

No comments: