1/14/2006

On the current reading

I have decided to give up telling what the next book in my queue is. There are several reasons for this. One, I am easily distracted, and find a book at the library that captures my interest enough to make me want to quit what I am reading at that moment. Two, I hate giving a bad reveiw simply because I found the author either boring or uncomprehendable. (RE: The next book in this sequence which I dropped after 20 pages "Slam Dunks...") This frees me up to just discard it rather than having to try to muddle through it in order to fulfill a promise to my readers. It may mean longer waits before a new review, after all I'm doing 50+ hours a week at work, and I gotta sleep. Fear not. I am making headway on the current book and should have a review up Sunday or Monday. In the meantime here is a list of classics from both fiction and non-fiction that I loved.

"Time and Again" and it's sequel "From Time to Time" by Jack Finney. Finney departed this world a few years back, but he gave us a wonderful legacy of time travel stories. This is the cream of the crop. I would also recommend "Invasion of the Body Snatchers", the basis for the several movie versions by the same title.

If you're up for the long haul, the twelve book series of "Left Behind" about the after-rapture lives of several people who became Christians during the Tribulation of Biblical prophecy is good. Be forewarned it is extremely preachy, and time passes slowly in the series. (According to the Bible, the Tribulation will last only seven years, so it's pretty slow as you can tell.)

There are several books by David Feldman that might spark some interest. "Do Elephants Jump" and "When Did Wild Poodles Roam the Earth" are two of the books in what is called the Imponderables series. The author collects questions from readers and puts out his research in finding the answers to such strange questions. Even if you don't read every book all the way through, there are lots of questions answered in each book, most in a page or two. You could be sure to find several that interest you in each book. And there are currently 11 out there...

If you'd like to read a real-life mystery about hackers on the Internet, check out "The Cuckoo's Egg" by Clifford Stoll. International intrigue galore.

Have fun. I'll be back soon.

Winthrop

No comments: