1/15/2006

Git-R-Done by Larry the Cable Guy


The first thing I thought when I saw this book on the shelf was "Larry wrote a book???"

Actually, the first thing I thought was "Larry can WRITE???" Then I thought about swatting the fly that was crawling on the copy of the book, but then I thought he probably knew what he was doing. Don't ask me how I knew the fly was a he... Thats when I really thought "Larry wrote a book???" (Lord, I apologize for that there...) So I got the book and I'm glad I did. I'm happier than a pig in Iraq during Ramadan!

If you don't know who Larry the Cable Guy is, my question is "Have you been in a mental ward or something?" Go rent the videos of "Blue Collar Comedy Tour and Blue Collar Comedy Tour Rides Again". And maybe the stand-up solo Larry video "Git-R-Done"

The book is vintage Larry. It covers some of his life history as well as some great comic bits that have no cohesion to the whole other than they are bound in the same book. Reading Larry's comedy is almost as much fun as watching him perform it. Think of Larry as the redneck version of Robin Williams' early stand-up. And if you've never seen Robin Williams do impromptu comedy, get the hell out of here.

To give you even a piece of larry's stuff here would be a crime. It has to be read as it is written. The rambling style does not fit well in quotes, no matter what the other critics do with them. I wanted to, believe me, but if I started, I would end up quoting a whole chapter verbatim. OK, OK, one quote. The entire chapter 6:

"TK"

If that isn't funny, you've got the wrong book. Put it down and go read "How To Cross-Pollenate Orchids in a Sub-Zero Climate" instead.

I give this one 8 ½ stars.

No comments: