3/03/2008

What On Earth Have I Done? by Robert Fulghum


Inspirational literature can be tedious if you are the sort of pessimist that fits into the same mold as I do. Ordinarilly I would turn and run from that kind of sentimental pap. Fulghum, on the other hand, is interesting, not because he takes a different tack on the medium, but because he is so funny when he writes it. And humor is the way to get me to read your stuff.

Giving insight to how he approaches life and those around him in three different locales he calls home is the subject here (Seattle, rural Utah, and the island of Crete in Europe) The funniest entries are when he tells of how he made a fool of himself upon his first time in the village where he lives while on Crete, and the one about how he tests the waters of conversation by making seemingly offbeat comments, looking for players in the game.

Maybe I'm more sentimental than I want to admit. I rate this one 7½ stars.

No comments: